In Convoy, the players can set up and host their own private sessions (password optional) to drive with their friends or other fellow truckers. There support for synchronized AI traffic, time and weather, and the ability to take the same job as other players.
Convoy allow the player to create and host an online session with up to 8 players. Session hosts will automatically be made admins of these sessions, allowing them to ultimately control what kind of environment they want to have online, as well as having the ability to kick any trouble-makers from the session. The player can also see, filter, browse and eventually join any of the available sessions that have been already created by the player's friends or other truckers.
Options and features the players be able to use and experience in Convoy:
- Any player can host and create their own private sessions for up to 8 people
- Ability to haul the same contracts/jobs together from the same company and to the same destination
- Synchronized AI traffic
- Synchronized time and weather
- Synchronized paint jobs, truck accessories, cabin accessories, cargoes, and more
- Ability to communicate with other drivers via CB radio broadcast (X key), quick replies (Q key), or text chat (Y key) (keys can be mapped in the game options)
Notable issues/not yet implemented:
- Mods in Convoy mode are not supported in the initial release.
- AI vehicles might disappear when a player disconnects.
- Lifting bridges are not synchronized. They will be stationary for the initial release of Convoy.
- Steam invites work only through the Steam overlay.
- CB radio broadcast (hotkey "X") interferes with the text input line.
In case of trouble-makers or other circumstances out of the player's control, players will have the option to revert their save file to one made previously before joining the session.
SCS plan to eventually raise the player limit in the future, however, they are keeping it small at this time due to its work-in-progress nature.
- 21 December 2020: During the SCS Christmas Stream, the team announces and confirms the development of an online mode for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator called Convoy, that will work with a private lobby with a limited number of players and supporting all game features including the traffic. CEO Pavel Sebor says the mode is very advanced in the development and he hopes that until 2021 people will see it.
- 21 May 2021: 1.41 Experimental Beta update for American Truck Simulator is released and Convoy Mode is confirmed as the main addition of the update.
- 27 May 2021: SCS Software make a stream on their Twitch and YouTube channel about Convoy Mode, with a gameplay + Developer Q&A with two developers who were part of the creation of mode + the CEO Pavel Sebor. 
- 3 June 2021: 1.41 Experimental Beta update for Euro Truck Simulator 2 is released and Convoy Mode is confirmed as the main addition of the update.
- 9 June 2021: 1.41 update Open Beta for American Truck Simulator is released.
- 17 June 2021: 1.41 update Open Beta for Euro Truck Simulator 2 is released.
- 10 July 2021: Blog post about the arrival of Convoy game mode soon.
- 13 July 2021: 1.41 update is released for American Truck Simulator.
- 15 July 2021: 1.41 update is released for Euro Truck Simulator 2.
- Christmas 2020 Special Stream Recordings, 2020-12-21 (accessed 2020-12-21)
- SCS Software, SCS Forum, 2021-05-21 (accessed 2021-05-21)
- SCS Software on Twitter, 2021-05-27 (accessed 2021-05-27)
- Special American Truck Simulator: Convoy Developer Stream, 2021-05-27 (accessed 2021-05-27)
- SCS Software, SCS Forum, 2021-06-03 (accessed 2021-06-03)
- SCS Software, American Truck Simulator 1.41 Open Beta, 2021-06-09 (accessed 2021-06-09)
- SCS Software, Euro Truck Simulator 2: 1.41 Update Open Beta, 2021-06-17 (accessed 2021-06-17)
- SCS Software, Convoy on the Horizon, Get Ready to Join!, 2021-07-10 (accessed 2021-07-10)
- SCS Software, American Truck Simulator: 1.41 Release, 2021-07-13 (accessed 2021-07-13)
- SCS Software, Euro Truck Simulator 2: 1.41 Release, 2021-07-13 (accessed 2021-07-15)