"FEEL THE POWER! LIVE THE DREAM! Take your show on the road. Drive your rig to make it big and build your business. Money talks - when you're in charge, let the drivers to their job while you count your cash. You're not only a trucker, you're a truck tycoon."
18 Wheels of Steel: Pedal to the Metal (in Germany: Voll aufs Gas) is a truck simulation game created by SCS Software and released by ValuSoft in August 2004. It is the 3rd installment of the 18 Wheels of Steel series after Across America.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Like in the other 18 Wheels of Steel games, the aim of the game is to make money by delivering cargoes across America. Other challenges and features are competing with other truck drivers for prestigious cargoes, keeping the boss happy, upgrading trucks, and forming an own trucking company by hiring other drivers to do the work. The game has several operational modes:
- Employee mode takes the hassle of finding new contracts for yourself, and puts it in your bosses hands! Your boss will assign delivery tasks to you, which you should attempt to complete as promptly as possible if you want to keep said boss happy! In this role, you will not be able to pick and choose your cargoes as you wish, nor will you be able to improve or exchange your truck - it belongs to the company - however should you manage to raise $100,000 for yourself, during the course of your deliveries, you will be able to use this cash to become an Owner-Operator.
- Owner-Operator mode puts you firmly in charge of deciding what goods you wish to deliver, and to which destinations. You can take out loans; you can buy, sell, upgrade, or even downgrade your truck - it belongs to you. You can even keep track of which cargoes you want to deliver - ahead of time - using the Planning feature of your notebook. It's fun to be your own boss!
- Company Boss Mode: You must have silver prestige at least to become the boss. Take charge of a fleet of trucks and truck-drivers. Only, you'll have to find these people first, and of course, neither they nor their trucks come free of charge. Deliver your own cargoes whilst managing your company and employees. Become the biggest trucking-empire in the States and beyond!
While creating a new game profile one also has to choose between different game rules (can't be changed anymore later):
- Simulate Fatigue: Whilst playing with this enabled, your driver can become tired and experience blackouts, until they are rested.
- Enable Police: If you do not wish to be held up or chased by police in the game, disable this.
- Enable Timed Jobs: If you do not want to have any penalties for late delivery of cargoes, disable this.
- Upgrade Anywhere: Allows you to upgrade your truck at any time and any place in the game.
Map[edit | edit source]
- Main article: List of Cities in 18 Wheels of Steel
See also[edit | edit source]
|SCS Software Trucking Games|
|Truck Simulator series||Euro Truck Simulator - German Truck Simulator - UK Truck Simulator - Euro Truck Simulator 2 - American Truck Simulator|
|18 Wheels of Steel series||Hard Truck: 18 Wheels of Steel - Across America - Pedal to the Metal - Convoy - Haulin' - American Long Haul - Extreme Trucker - Extreme Trucker 2|
|Other games||Trucks & Trailers - Scania Truck Driving Simulator|